The Jackson County Sheriff's Office has used motorcycles since the mid 1950
's. The fleet has grown from 2 motorcycles to 10 over the years. Each member selected to the motorcycle unit must first pass an intense and specialized two-week police motorcycle training course where safety and defense tactics are stressed. The members train monthly with other law enforcement agencies in both Missouri and Kansas.
The motorcycle unit’s primary assignment is traffic enforcement; their goal being
to facilitate and promote the safe movement of traffic throughout Jackson County. They also participate in numerous other events including parades throughout the county, VIP escorts, funeral escorts, displays, and other community events.
The Jackson County Sheriff's motorcycle unit is assigned numerous details including assisting other law enforcement agencies.
- Leads the St. Patrick's Day parade in Kansas City
- Assigned to escort players and MLB executives during 2012 MLB All-Star game
- Escort VIP's including Governor Jay Nixon, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, US Secretary of Veteran Affairs Robert McDonald, US representative Emanuel Cleaver, and the President George W. Bush
- In 2014, they began escorting Chiefs coach Andy Reid during home football games
- In 2014 and 2015, the unit assisted with escorts for the MLB World Series games in Kansas City as well as the Royal's World Series Victory Celebration parade